I’m heading down to Burbank next week to visit my boyfriend, who’s been working down there for the summer. I’m super excited to spend some time with him and enjoy the hot weather!
I fly across the country often for school, so I’ve gotten pretty good at packing a lot of stuff into little spaces. However, when I go home I typically bring way too much with the intention of leaving some behind, so on short trips like this I have a terrible habit of bringing too much under the excuse of “having options.” Over time, I’ve started pushing myself to pack lighter, and now I have a few tips that I hope can help some of you out!
- Know what you’ll be doing during your trip – if you don’t have an idea of what you’ll be doing, you’ll have a hard time packing for it. Not knowing also makes it tempting to bring a bunch of extra “just in case” items that you’ll probably not need.
- Plan out your outfits – this takes quite a bit of time, but it saves you so much more when you’re living out of a suitcase and can’t see everything all sorted out. It helps me to take a photo of each outfit, complete with accessories and even a lipstick or eyeshadow so I can remember what I need to get ready each morning.
- Stick to a similar color palette – this helps for pairing accessories without needing your entire jewelry collection, and especially when mixing and matching outfits for longer trips. It also comes in handy if you need to make make a quick shoe change or dress up what you’re already wearing.
- Pick a few basics that you can reuse – it’s easier to pack light when you can get multiple uses out of your clothes. I go for pieces that fit into the color palette I want and can be dressed up or down.
Day 1 – Work and traveling
On Tuesday I’ll be at work until about 3, and then I’m heading down to the airport. I’ll land around dinner time, so I need something that’s comfortable at work, on a plane, and for whatever we do when I get there.
Day 2 – Visiting the office and going out
I’ll be visiting my boyfriend’s office in the morning, so I want to wear something appropriate but suitable for the hot weather. We will also be going out later in the evening, so I can easily make this look more “date night.”
Day 3 – 4th of July and Disneyland
We’re going to Disneyland and California Adventure for the day, so comfort is a must.
Day 4 – Beach
Of course, there will be a beach day! We’ll be spending some time on the water and wandering around town, so I need something appropriate on and off the beach. I’ll probably also bring the black V-neck from Day 1, since the pink shirt might be a bit too hot!
Day 5 – Hollywood/Shopping
We’ll be walking around and shopping all day, so I have a super comfy basic dress that will look great for day and night (plus, it doesn’t wrinkle!). I added a sweater for places with air conditioning, because I always get chilly in restaurants and stores during hot weather.
Day 6 – Wandering and traveling
We’ll spend the last day of the trip checking out anything we missed. It’ll be chilly back in the Bay Area by the time I get back, so I layered shirts and tossed in the sweater.
Clothes I packed:
- Black jacket: Nordstrom
- Black sweater: Old Navy
- Grey tee: Selfless (the company I’m working for this summer)
- Black V-neck: Old Navy
- Pink button-down: Thrift store, Banana Republic
- Red lace top: Target (from my recent “Fashion Bargains”)
- Red dress: Forever 21
- Denim high-waist shorts: American Eagle
- Black shorts: Macy’s
- Black and copper skirt: Forever 21
- Swimsuit: top JC Penney, bottom Target
- Reversible Belt: Target
- Cowboy boots: Forever 21
- Converse: Not sure, I’ve had them for years
Jewelry and Makeup Shown
- Silver necklace: gift, Tiffany
- Heart earrings: gift
- Gold drop earrings: American Eagle
- Pinky ring (actually a toe ring): Forever 21
- Watch: Francesca’s
- Sunglasses: Avalon Exchange
- Revlon Lip Butter in Pink Truffle
- Maybelline Vivids in Shocking Coral
- Milani Lipstick in Hot Pink Rage
- YSL lipstick in Rose in Tension (swatches)
- Make Forever Rouge Artist Natural in N45 (sample)
- Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Romantic
- Jordana Easyliner for Lips in Tawny
- Naked Basics Palette
- Stila Smudge Pot in Kitten (review)
- Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze